Friday, January 8, 2010

The END....

Today is the last day of the digital cleanse. I survived!!! I am back on twitter and facebook and life is GOOD!!! I proved to myself that I CAN do without both...but I so don't want to!

This experiment proved to me that I really am an ANTI SOCIAL person. I was perfectly content to occupy my time with singular endeavors that left me in my solitude. In spite of not having that social contact with my friends via the internet I still was not interested or motivated to seek social interaction with people face to face. I'm just not that into people. I've always joked that the only person I care to commune with is myself...but it IS infact true. I've also proved to myself that I am an insomniac. Even without twitter to keep me online 'til all hours of the morning I could not fall asleep before 4 am.

I realize I need to force myself to seek personal connections outside of the internet. I have friends and family but I'm just not into seeking them out. The ONE friend I do care to spend time with has a busy life and demanding job as well as health issues that prevent her from going out. Maybe I NEED to seek her out on her terms. I'm a horrible friend I guess. I need to work on that this coming year. She and I do however have a date later this month to see Dallas Green in Austin. I need to make sure she's still up to it. I already bought the tickets but if she's not up to it I'll need to make other arrangements. Or maybe sell them. I hope she still wants to go. I think she'd enjoy it. She needs to get out and have some fun once in a while too.

The biggest thing I realized during this cleanse is that I get ALL my news from twitter. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. But I was so out of the loop this week. I'm not big on television...mostly because the programming on ALL channels is pretty much shite! I'm usually scanning the news tweets for important stories and info both locally and world wide. This week however I didn't even think to look at the websites. I'm so used to the quick headlines in the form of tweets. I think I need a more rounded approach to my new intake.

This was indeed an educational experiment. I appreciate what I learned about myself. I now see that my will is stronger than I first assumed, but I also observed that my social skills are weak. Things I will most definitely need to work on this year.

Thank you John Mayer for suggesting this adventure....but if you ever try this again...You're on your own buddy. I'm embracing my addictions and my weaknesses!! :o) I missed my friends and my twitter!!! ;o)

And yes!!! I managed to keep my fish alive through clever manipulations of my nephew and niece...they liked the application when I showed them before the new year...so getting them to log onto my facebook to feed my fish was an easy sell. And I also had a friend feeding them so they were well maintained. Now I'm back to my twitter and fishville addictions.

Look out Twitter...The BITCH is BACK!! and I'm not talking about Elton John!! ;o)